tsp vs ira

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sean Gallagher 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mtucker9
    Participant

My wife and I both have TSP. Is it best to leave our funds in TSP or transfer it to an IRA? She has 10 years to start withdrawing and I have 16 years.

TS Paul
    Keymaster

I’m sure that you will get a number of different responses to that question, because the answer can be very different depending on your situation.

I love the Thrift Savings Plan for its very low expenses, so all things being equal I am likely to keep most of my money in the TSP. But the withdrawal options are limited so that may be a factor for me in moving at least some of my funds to a vehicle with greater flexibility (assuming they don’t change it by then – I expect they will).

If you are in a position to make withdrawals prior to age 59 1/2 and think you might want to do that, then you would need to leave your money in the TSP because that is not an option with an IRA.

The TSP Allocation Guide www.TSPallocation.com

seang
    Participant

Is this conversation about the Roth TSP?

I can’t seem to find any guidance or pros/cons as to where to place my money.

I have a long time until retirement and taking money out prior to me being 59.5 doesn’t seem likely from where I stand today.

Should I split my contributions? Or stay in one?

Thank you for your help, I sure enjoy your information.

Sean

TS Paul
    Keymaster

This thread is generically about whether or not to stay in the Thrift Savings Plan or roll over into an IRA. I have an entire post regarding my views on the Traditional vs. Roth TSP decision:

http://www.tspallocation.com/traditional-vs-roth-tsp/

The TSP Allocation Guide www.TSPallocation.com

Sean Gallagher

If I could high five you right now, I would!

Thanks again for all of your information!

Sean

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.