Traditional or Roth

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rich W 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Michael66
    Participant

I currently invest in the Traditional TSP but I was curios if there were more advantages to the Roth or if you had an opion which is better.

Thanks

TS Paul
    Keymaster

That is such a great question I just wound up writing an entire post about it which you can find here:

Traditional TSP vs. Roth TSP

The TSP Allocation Guide www.TSPallocation.com

Michael66
    Participant

That was incredibly helpful, thank you. I am only in my second year of investing and that has really been one of my biggest concerns so far. Again thank you for your time and the great article.

Brad

Maybe this was covered and I missed it. If I invest in a Roth IRA and Roth TSP can I max out my Roth IRA at $5,500 per year AND make Roth contributions to TSP? I won’t be penalized for making more than $5,500 in Roth contributions for a year, will I?

I assume I can since the normal TSP contribution limit is much higher, but I want to make sure I’m not violating the contribution rules.

Thanks for the help.

-Brad

Rich W

As long as your income is eligible for contributing $5,500 towards your roth IRA, you can max out both your roth IRA at $5,500 and your roth TSP at $17,500 without any penalties.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.