New fed new to FERS

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mad Max 4 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

MS Hydro
    Participant

Hi,

I am a relatively new government employee (less than 5 years and 30 years old) and have the FERS retirement plan. My old boss turned me on to this site and it has helped me out a lot. Especially since finances/economics/retirement planning is not my forte.

First, I would like to say thank you for creating this site. It is helping me to understand economic cycles and why investing (in your future) is important. I have ventured out of the safe zone (100% G fund) and am now 100% in the S-fund. Happily seeing higher returns than if I just stayed “in the dark”.

What I would like to ask is, besides investing in the TSP, do you have any suggestions for other government investing or if it would behoove me to start working with a financial advisor? Also, and good books/articles for the investing novice? I feel as if I should start thinking about my future even more than I have now (by just switching from the G to the S fund). I understand that this site is only for information purposes, but I like your strategies and thought it couldn’t hurt to ask for any helpful advice.

Thanks!

Mad Max

One thing that everyone that is eligible should be doing is contributing to a ROTH outside of the Thrift Savings Plan. Even if you have your TSP maxed out you can still set up an “outside” ROTH.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.