Lifecycle Funds

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ben 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ben

Hello,

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the lifecycle funds that TSP has.

Personally, as of right now, I’m vested 100% into the L-2050 fund as it will be a while before I can retire (I’m 24 years old now with about 5 years in).

Looking at your recommended contributions, I was wondering how that differs from the lifecycle funds. Is it more reserved than the lifecycle? Would it be a good idea to change?

Any input is appreciated, I’m just curious.

Thanks!

-Ben

Morgan

If you want to set it and not touch it or look at it again until you retire its pretty good.

Otherwise I’m not a big fan of it. The G and F fund combined make up 15.5% of the fund which I think for a person that is 24 is too conservative, my own portfolio currently has 10% in bonds. I’d recommend you set your own allocation to closer to what TSP Paul is recommending.

Anne
    Participant

Currently the L-2050 is allocated as follows
    G 12.4%
    F 3.1%
    C 44.37%
    S 14.78%
    I 25.35%
    I agree with Morgan in that I’m not a big fan of the L funds. It really depends on your risk tolerance and what you are comfortable with. Since I’m closer to retirement, I am a little more risk adverse and a little more pessimistic on our current economic outlook but I do think that you should be primarily in stock at your age. 25% in I is a little riskier, 15% in G
    & F is less risky. If we go into a bear market or recession, all stock funds are risky.

Ben

Thank you for your input!

I’ve changed my allocations to what TSP Paul has recommended!

Thanks again,

Ben

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.