Individual stock picks – what is your current favorite?

THE THRIFT SAVINGS PLAN ALLOCATION GUIDE Forums Message Board Individual stock picks – what is your current favorite?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Joey 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

TS Paul
    Keymaster

The vast majority of my investments are in index funds which I choose based on the current phase of the business cycle. But sometimes I like to think I can pick individual winners. And sometimes I even do. I will post my current favorite once a few other people weigh in. What is your current favorite individual stock and why?

The TSP Allocation Guide www.TSPallocation.com

Jeremy

My top stock is:

PEP: This was my very first stock when my mom bought it for me in 1998. They provided quarterly dividends which I re-invest back into the stock.

Other stocks I like are:
    F, DIS, ABT, and AAPL

Tracy
    Participant

Would you be willing to share information on what index funds you like based on the current business phase cycle? It would be great to know what other investments would be good picks aside from the TSP.

I just purchased a Roth with Vanguard, the Total Stock Market Index Fund. Based on your business cycle when it changes I will move into another fund. Any suggestions or guidelines would be much appreciated. Vanguard doesn’t have a G fund to move into when the market changes so any suggestions of what we can do to move in and out of index funds?

Tracy

Tracy
    Participant

Forgot to add my individual stock picks are: Johnson and Johnson, Exxon, Proctor and Gamble, AT&T and Coca Cola. I like dividend stocks, and always reinvest the dividends.

Tracy

TS Paul
    Keymaster

In response to Tracy’s question above and another comment posted the other day, I created a page with the mutual fund and ETF equivalents of the various TSP Funds under the resources tab on the menu at the top of the page (which you probably can’t see if you are reading this on a phone).

Mutual Fund and ETF Equivalents to TSP Funds

Tracy
    Participant

Thanks for the Index Fund Post…Great info!

Tracy

TS Paul
    Keymaster

While most of my non-TSP investments are in index funds such as VB (small cap) and WMCR (micro-cap), I do hold some individual stocks.

Since this thread is “which is your current favorite and I have to limit myself to one, I’ll go with Facebook (FB) which is the stock I hold which I think is most likely to double in the next year or so.

This is mostly a momentum play (and you have to admit that the momentum has been doing pretty well the last few months). But the fundamentals are starting to catch up a little bit – FB is learning how to make money from all the eyeballs they are attracting and is starting to generate a lot of cash.

I don’t believe in the management of this company the way I do in an Apple or Google, but right now I think this one has a long ways to run.

atcpilotsc

twtr is a buy.

TS Paul
    Keymaster

I plan to post a bit more detail in the August update, but for anyone interested I have recently put together small collection of BDC/REIT dividend generators. I don’t anticipate these stocks moving up anytime soon, but I think the upcoming interest rate hikes are pretty well priced in. These will be a long term hold with the goal of producing regular income. I don’t pay any commissions on trades, so there is no cost issue for me to put together my own little fund to spread out the risk a bit.

REITs:

NLY
    AGNC

BDCs:

ARCC
    BKCC
    PSEC
    FSC
    (and I will probably add KCAP before its next ex-dividend date)

My other favorite individual stocks these days are:

Apple (AAPL)
    Facebook (FB)
    Sequenom (SQNM)
    Gilead Sciences (GILD)
    Express Scripts (ESRX) – which I just bought this morning

Joey

Paul, through what outlet do you purchase individual stocks?

TS Paul
    Keymaster

Hi Joey

I have a brokerage account at Merrill-Lynch in which most of my ETFs and individual stocks are held in either normal or ROTH accounts. I didn’t set out to open an account there, but industry consolidation resulted in several of my separate accounts being combined under that company. It has worked out pretty well for me – they have good service and I get a lot more free trades per month than I will ever use.

I also have a Vanguard account in which I hold mutual funds in both normal and ROTH accounts. I generally don’t purchase mutual funds anymore, opting for ETFs instead. If you open a Vanguard brokerage account, there are no trading fees for Vanguard ETFs.

Joey

Great. Thanks for the information. We have our Roth IRA holdings and several other ETFs at Vanguard, but their fee for individual equity trades is $7 (can be lower but you need to have a $1 million in total assets held). I have since been searching for lower cost outlets to trade individual stocks. I’ll check out Merrill-Lynch.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.