Combining Military and Civilian TSP Accounts

THE THRIFT SAVINGS PLAN ALLOCATION GUIDE Forums Message Board Combining Military and Civilian TSP Accounts

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TS Paul 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Bill

I am interested in your thoughts about combining my Military and Civilian Thrift Savings Plan accounts. Advantage and disadvantage if any.

Thanks for what you do.

Bill

TS Paul
    Keymaster

This is not an issue I have dealt with personally (the Thrift Savings Plan didn’t exist during my long-ago military days), but from what I have read there is only one significant factor which would weigh in either direction.

Advantage: If you combine, you get the convenience of only having to administer one TSP account, so there is that.

Disadvantage: On the other hand, when it comes time for TSP withdrawals, if you still have two accounts that would likely give you greater flexibility in dealing with the odd restrictions the TSP currently have imposed. Hopefully the TSP will make some changes to that in the near future so it won’t remain a consideration.

I’m sure that some other readers have looked more closely at combining military and civilian TSP accounts and may have some other thoughts to offer.

The TSP Allocation Guide www.TSPallocation.com

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.