C & S Funds

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Warner 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

irish1811
    Participant

I am currently 6 years from retirement and generally don’t put all my eggs in one basket. I recently moved some of my money to the TSP C fund. I am currently 50% S, 40% C and 10% G. Is that too conservative in your opinion? Thanks for putting this site out there!

TS Paul
    Keymaster

That sounds like a perfectly fine Thrift Savings Plan allocation to me. The only part that seems conservative is the 10% in the TSP G Fund, and if that helps you sleep at night it won’t have a major impact on your returns. I don’t expect there to be a huge difference in the returns of the TSP S Fund and C Fund this year as we are somewhere in that space between phases of the business cycle, although you never know how these things will play out.

Good luck.

The TSP Allocation Guide www.TSPallocation.com

Andre G

I have followed your suggestions and they have help my retirement. I currently have 200,000 in the G fund and my allocations are 75% in the S fund and 25% in the C. I have never moved money from the G fund to other funds as I am new to manipulating my TSP account. Should I leave the money that I have earned thus far in the G fund alone or would it be a good idea to take some the money out of the G fund and buy some of the C and S fund? And if so, how much? Thanks for the advice and website.

TS Paul
    Keymaster

I am strictly forbidden from offering individual advice. In my own Thrift Savings Plan investing I would generally use the G Fund only as a safe haven when I believe the economy is entering a recession, although if I were within a year or two of needing to pull significant money out I would certainly consider putting some of those funds in that very safe vehicle.

The TSP Allocation Guide www.TSPallocation.com

Joe Warner

Irish and Andre, how much you want in the G fund is what makes you most comfortable. My own philosophy is to keep about 2 years of expected retirement outlay in the G fund, for me that is about 11%, so if there is an unexpected downturn that isn’t caught in time my other funds have time to recover. I have read many financial advisers who recommend this “bucket” for people near or in retirement that is equal to 2 to 5 years of retirement disbursement.

I wish I had known about a website like TPallocation when I first began investing in the 1980s.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.