Browsing Dan Jamison's FERs guide

THE THRIFT SAVINGS PLAN ALLOCATION GUIDE Forums Message Board Browsing Dan Jamison's FERs guide

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  DanDan 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

DanDan

I wish to 2nd everyone to read the FERs guide. Quite a bit of info, I’m not even done looking/reading/dissecting it, but I spotted the below statement (pg 32):

“The TSP will not allow you to roll-over/transfer only the Roth TSP portion of your
    account. When you make any withdrawal from the TSP, the withdrawn amount will be taken
    ratably from both your Traditional and Roth balances under TSP rules.”

I always thought at some point you would be able to extract the Roth portion into a personal IRA to stop from RMDs (Required minimum distribution), but if you want to do this I guess you have to completely leave TSP?

This may have just been a crazy thought in my head I guess, but what about the one big lump sum payment can this be taken to put in a Roth account from the Roth funds?

DanDan

OK found it
    5) You can roll your Roth TSP into a Roth IRA (income restrictions would not apply;

Guess I misread it…..so you can roll over your Roth TSP portion into an IRA, but can’t withdrawal only Roth/

And yes…I love have having conversations with myself 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.